INDEX CASE VOCALIST / PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN
AGH CORE UNIT INVESTIGATOR
TALENT MANAGER: CHAD CALEK OF TRUE PLAYER ENTERTAINMENT AND CURT SMITH OF ZERODISC MANAGEMENT
INDEX CASE LABEL: Self Distributed
"If destiny has an ounce of justice, the work of Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Byron and Joe Ansley will mentioned, without pause, in the same breath. Joe doesn't write lyrics. He paints them. He doesn't use meaning. He creates it. He doesn't connect words... he tangles them. While Joe may not be a 'jack of all trades' when it comes to his artistic abilities, he's a king of his craft when it comes to the music of INDEX CASE. And we've been fortunate enough to document the person behind the music, which is every bit as fascinating."
- Chad Calek, AGH TV Creator and Director
At the age of 16, Joe Ansley began his musical career as the front man for a band called Index Case from Indianola, IA, which sits just on the outskirts of Des Moines, IA. It was during this time that Ansley became close friends with Chad Calek, who was a member of the Ames, IA, band 35 Inch Mudder, which oddly enough, unknown to Calek when he first met Ansely, 35 Inch Mudder was the local band that inspired Ansley to become a musician in the first place.
After years of playing shows together and sharing the stage, Ansley and Calek eventually began working together on a professional level, as Calek began managing Ansley's musical career, in which Calek would often go on tour with Index Case. It was through these tours that Ansley and Calek would learn that in addition to sharing the bond of creating and performing original music, they also had a similar interest in the paranormal, as both had suffered horrific childhood experiences with the "unexplained". But long before Ansley and Calek began making films about the paranormal... there was the music.
After consistently being one of the top selling local artists in the Des Moines scene for five straight years, in 2001, Calek's 35 Inch Mudder abruptly disbanded, leaving in its wake an opportunity for something fresh and new to take over. That something was Index Case, which quickly became central Iowa's top drawing local band between 2001-2003, in which Index Case began packing in as many as 1,000 attendees per show, setting the stage for a run at a Hollywood major label record deal. But even with local success, the facts are that only one in a million bands will ever sign a major label records deal.
"You don't choose a career in music based on the mathematical odds that you'll become a rock star. Music chooses you. It's something you live," says Joe Ansley.
Once Index Case stood firmly atop the local and regional music scenes as the "top draw", Calek's manager Curt Smith (Tears for Fears) began co-managing Index Case with Calek, in which Ansley and crew began writing new material to shop to record companies, hoping that they would eventually write "the song" that would get the band signed. Within a year after releasing their locally produced "The Weak And The Wounded" CD, after showcasing for over a dozen record labels, Ansley would see his dream of signing a major record deal come true, as Index Case inked a multi-million dollar record deal with No Name/Elektra Records. Within two months of signing their deal, in the summer of 2004, Index Case moved into a $10 million dollar mansion overlooking the ocean in the hills of Calabasas, CA, in which for six months, they worked on what would be their self-titled major label debut. From there... the real-life story that followed is something that will be well documented in the forthcoming BLACKSHEEP documentary. But suffice to say, "life" kicked into high gear, leaving behind a trail of laughs, love and the kind of heartbreak they write books about, which we're certain that someday Joey will write his. But in the meantime, you'll have to meet Ansley in person at an AGH TV live event to get the rest of the story, or of course, see BLACKSHEEP when it's released!
And while Joe's talents as a vocalist are demonstrated on five different Index Case records, his talents "on-screen" have also played a decisive role in his career in the entertainment business. As arguably the most popular member of Calek's AGH CORE UNIT paranormal investigative team, Ansley's appearances in TERROR NORMAL: THE GHOST OF THE WAVERLY HILLS SANATORIUM, A&E's THE GHOST PROPHECIES and AMERICAN GHOST HUNTER were all fan favorite moments of each documentary, as viewers have consistently fallen in love with Ansley's child-like innocence, as well as his brutal honesty when it comes to his fear of the unexplained. While each member of Calek's team has trademarked aspects of their personality, none are more defined than Ansley's ultra-emotive responses to the intense scenarios that often accompany paranormal investigations.
Over and over again, Calek was continually impressed by the fact that not only would Ansley consistently create some of the most memorable moments in his documentaries, but Ansley would do it with minimal screen time. With this in mind, Calek's "A BLOOD RED SKY" documentary gave Ansley fans something they had wanted to see for a very a long time... a documentary in which Ansley was the focus of the entire film.
"Being captivating as a person is not something you can go to school for. You can't teach somebody how to be enigmatic or fascinating. You're born with it or you're not. I could make a documentary about Joey doing the dishes, and at the very least, it would be entertaining. The only thing more fascinating than Joe's talents... is Joe. To work with him as a musician is an honor. To work with him as a documentarian is nothing short of a fucking dream," says Calek.
And Calek's audience seem to have agreed with Calek about Ansley's "on-screen" persona, as in 2012, the Ansley-led cast featured in the documented adventure that is A BLOOD RED SKY, officially sold out 77 non-conventional theatrical screening tour dates in the United States, Canada and Australia, make the A BLOOD RED SKY tours the most successful tours that AGH TV has launched to date. PLEASE NOTE: A BLOOD RED SKY can been seen on AGH TV Pay Per View and pre-ordered on DVD.
The future for Ansley will include additional film and music collaborations with Calek, while plans for a new Index Case album and tour are also in the works.
"At the end of the day, we're still just kids doing what we love. We're one big ass crazy family rollin' around the world in a custom shag carpet hippy van that we built with our bare hands. And we're going to ride it until the wheels fall off. Then we'll walk," says Ansley.
INDEX CASE SOCIAL MEDIA:
INDEX CASE TWITTER: @INDEXCASE
INDEX CASE "AUGUSTAGEIN" ALBUM PROMO VIDEO: http://youtu.be/899tBCOBj7U
CHAD PRANKS JOEY: http://youtu.be/-6r6xZXXedw
JOE FEATURED IN THE "MEET THAT AGH CREW" VIDEO: http://youtu.be/K4MwMF5I2B0
JOE PRANKS HIS HOMETOWN INDEX CASE AUDIENCE: http://youtu.be/-HJ4T-0-Hxk
CHAD AND JUSTIN AGAIN PRANK JOEY: https://myspace.com/anamericanghosthunter/video/a-fun-little-prank-on-agh-joe/46696795
INDEX CASE "UNDERWATER" SONG, AS FEATURED IN AMERICAN GHOST HUNTER: http://youtu.be/0JbJAMHumSM
WHAT IS YOUR SIGN? Sagittarius
FAVORITE COLOR? Green
FAVORITE WEBSITE? Zappos
FAVORITE SOCIAL MEDIA? instagram
FAVORITE MUSICAL ARTIST? Tough question there's so many.....band would be Pantera.... Artist probably Chris Cornell
FAVORITE DIRECTOR? Quentin Tarantino
FAVORITE VACATION DESTINATION? Dublin
DO YOU THINK WE LANDED ON THE MOON OR NOT? Created in a Hollywood Basement
DO YOU BELIEVE IN BIGFOOT? I believe Big Foot LOVES Jazz Bass
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE NFL TEAM? Da Bears
IF YOU WERE STRANDED ON A DESERTED ISLAND IN WHICH YOU WERE ALLOWED ONE "CREATURE COMFORT", WHAT WOULD IT BE? I Pod.....Cant survive without music
WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE POLITICIAN? Bill Clinton
WHAT POLITICIAN DO YOU DESPISE? Romney....Dudes an Alien
WHAT LAW SHOULD BE ABOLISHED? The Ban on gay marriage
"THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND"... DOMESTIC TERRORISTS OR PEOPLE WHO JUST GOT SHIT DONE? Anarchy!!!
DO YOU SUPPORT THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA? yes sir
WHAT IS THE ONE PIECE OF ADVICE YOU WOULD GIVE TO GRACIE? It's hard to give a little girl advice thats already been around the world by age 1! She's already on the right path... but the advice I would give to anyone is, "Be yourself. The world will adjust".
IF YOU COULD PICK YOUR OWN NICKNAME, WHAT WOULD THAT NICKNAME BE? Joey Badass..... Unfortunately its already taken
• MAY 2000 INDEX CASE SELF-RELEASES THEIR FIRST CD, TITLED "BIRTH"
• DEC. 2001 INDEX CASE SIGNS A MANAGEMENT CONTRACT WITH CHAD CALEK AND CURT SMITH
• AUG. 2002 INDEX CASE SELF-RELEASES THEIR SECOND CD, TITLED "GLASS"
• JULY 2002 INDEX CASE WINS LAZER 103.3 LOCAL MUSIC "BATTLE OF THE BANDS"
• AUG. 2002 INDEX CASE SIGNS SPONSORSHIP DEAL WITH MOUNTAIN DEW/AMP ENERGY DRINK
• DEC. 2003 INDEX CASE SELF-RELEASES THEIR THIRD CD, "THE WEAK AND THE WOUNDED"
• JAN. 2003 INDEX CASE SHOOTS THEIR FIRST MUSIC VIDEO FOR "WHY DREAMS BLEED"
• 2003-2004 INDEX CASE DEVELOPS REGIONAL FOLLOWING WITH SOLD OUT SHOWS IN OMAHA, NE, CHICAGO, IL AND MINNEAPOLIS, MN.
• FEB. 2004 INDEX CASE SIGNS A MAJOR LABEL RECORD DEAL WITH NONAME/ELEKTRA RECORDS
• APR. 2004 INDEX CASE SHOOTS THIER FIRST MUSIC VIDEO FOR "WHY DREAMS BLEED"
• MAY. 2004 INDEX CASE APPEARS ON MICHAEL BAY'S TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE SOUNDTRACK
• JUN. 2004 INDEX CASE ON THE OZZFEST 2005 SUMMER DVD SAMPLER
• JUNE. 2004 INDEX CASE APPEARS ON THE ULTIMATE FIGHTING SOUNDTRACK
• AUG. 2004 INDEX CASE ON THE OZZFEST 2005 SUMMER DVD SAMPLER
• SEP. 2004 INDEX CASE SIGNS WITH "THE AGENCY GROUP" BOOKING AGENT
• OCT.-NOV. 2004 INDEX CASE TOURS NATIONAL WITH MUSHROOMHEAD, BLEED THE SKY, HED PE AND MORE
• DEC. 2005 AFTER NONAME/ELEKTRA LABEL FOLDS DUE TO PREIDENT'S DEATH, INDEX CASE SIGNS WITH UNIVERSAL RECORDS
• SEP. 2005 INDEX CASE RELEASES SELF-TITLED MAJOR LABEL DEBUT ON UNIVERSAL RECORDS
• JUNE 2010 INDEX CASE INDEPENDENTLY RELEASES THIER FOURTH CD, TITLED "AUGUSTAGEIN"
• DEC. 2011 INDEX CASE APPEARS AS THE FEATURED ARTIST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE "AMERICAN GHOST HUNTER" DOCUMENTARY
ON SCREEN CAREER
• DEC. 2006 - JOE ANSLEY APPEARS AS A CO-STAR OF THE "TERROR NORMAL: THE GHOSTS OF THE WAVERLY HILLS SANATORIUM"
• JUNE. 2006 - JOE ANSLEY HIRED AS CO-STAR OF STEVEN SPIELBERG'S "THE RISING"
• OCT. 2009 - JOE ANSLEY APPEARS AS A CO-STAR OF THE "AGH: MOUNDSVILLE" PILOT FOR A&E
• NOV. 2010 - JOE ANSELY APPEARS AS A CO-STAR ON A&E'S "THE GHOST PROPHECIES"
• DEC. 2011 - JOE ANSELY APPEARS AS A CAST MEMBER OF THE "AMERICAN GHOST HUNTER" DOCUMENTARY
• DEC. 2012 - JOE ANSELY APPEARS AS A CAST MEMBER OF CHAD CALEK'S "A BLOOD RED SKY" DOCUMENTARY
• DEC. 2013 - JOE ANSLEY TO CO-STAR CHAD CALEK'S "BLACKSHEEP" DOCUMENTARY